23 June, 2006

Accents Abound (Part 2)

[Author’s Note - I’m sorry about the delay in my writing. I have been sickly for the last couple of weeks. I am sure it is the giving up of the cigs as well as catching some bug that was floating about.]


With the given information in Part 1, it is my belief (and rightly so) that once I have an auto accident I was going to be ‘truly ass invaded’ - as Meatloaf succinctly stated when he was blown to hell in the movie Formula 51 (or The 51st State if you are in the UK / Australia).

The day came upon me as surely as a Christian and the Day of Judgment.

I don’t know if you are aware of the fact that I am the world’s worst when it comes to finding my away about geographically. I need a map, a compass, and specific directions as to how to arrive at any particular destination that I have never been to before. Well on this particularly fine day, I was going to the store to get some chain, and latches so that I could chain my dog if the need arose. The store that has these supplies is called Magnet Mart.

Magnet Mart is to this area is like a Lowes, or some similar home repair shop in the States. Most of the stores are decked out with fluorescent orange paint, and are quite easy to see from the roadside as you drive past. The one here in Goulburn is a pain in the ass to find. It is out of the way, and is set behind a huge fence. There is a nice big sign planted out front that should make it easy to see, but due to me being who that I am (cranky, irritable, and quite annoyed at having to find a shop I have never been to before), I failed to see the building, and drove past it. I turned on the first left, and decided to go on to my lady’s work - which is only a block away - and started down the road.

Being the brilliant Seeker that I am my mind over rode the existing plans and decided to go back for one more search of the area before admitting defeat to a woman. I’m a man damn it and we can find anything without directions!, the new captain yelled from somewhere in deep my subconscious.

My mind spies a parking area in front of a store on my right.

[Author’s note - There are few places in this town that have parking. In effect, you generally have to find a spot and walk to wherever you wish to shop. The block that I currently am on is odd in that there is street parking on the side of the road I was on, and on the other side there is no street parking only a couple of shops that have small areas that will hold 2-3 cars. This is important for the story. Imagine my side of the road with enough space to be two lanes wide, and the other side of the road to be one lane wide.]

Without thinking, I signal to make a turn into this parking area. I had past the entrance by a few feet, so that mean that this turn was going to be of the “U” variety (this is legal in Australia - unless specifically marked otherwise).

Signaling, I start my turn.


Let us digress for a few moments, though. I assure you we will be back to the story in a few moments, but I need you - my audience - to understand the car that I drive. It is a Mazda 121. It is purple, and it is smaller in stature than a Geo Metro. This is even made funnier by the fact that I am 6 foot, 3 inches, in height and weigh in at roughly 222 pounds. I am, by no means, a small man.

Here, you can see for yourself:



(Stupid Blogger picture tools aint working I'll add it later - to find a picture until then just do a google image search for Mazda 121)





Yes, it does compliment my red hair.


As I turn into the direction I wish the car to go a noise comes from behind that (I personally believe) no driver wants to hear. The noise was the screech of tires biting into asphalt as they try to slow the forward motion of they vehicle that they carry.

Due to the time it took for my mind to process this sound as some thing evil I had continued into the apex of my turn. I was now in the part of the turn that had my boot end in the previously lane and my front end in the lane of oncoming traffic. I was at a perfect ninety-degree slant from the curb in front and behind me. The noise was finally processed for the horror it was, and I look out my driver side window.

Coming towards me was a station wagon with an old bastard driving - his face frozen in the agony of a man trying to take a shit that says, “Fuck you mate, eat more fibre”.

Now, I refer you to the picture of the automobile I am driving once more so that you can picture me hunched over in the driver’s side (The right side of the vehicle). Don’t forget to imagine my spiked red hair, dark sunglasses, fiery red goatee, and a snarl that says, “Ah hell, when this is over I am going to have to pull my testicles out of my stomach!”

I watch as the idiot turns to the right - not the left where there is plenty of space due to the empty parking slots - and hits my front driver’s side fender. The car slides a few feet from the impact, and the engine stalls because I took my foot off the clutch. He then proceeds to pump his brakes for some insane reason, and his car slides forward yet again - this time scraping the bumper.

At this point in the drama, I am stuck inside my vehicle with his car pinned against mine. I am in two lanes of traffic, and can feel my heart beating out that boom, boom, boom that says, “Holy shit, you could a’ died, motherfucker!” I was stuck. All I could do was wait while the old man backed away - allowing me to exit my vehicle.

I fumbled for the door release, and for some odd reason could not get the door to open. My window was rolled down and while I was trying to open it I could hear the bastard walking towards me screaming, “What are you doing? Don’t you know how to signal?”

This got me going. Usually I am all about verifying that people are okay, and that its al good. This son of a bitch didn’t even check to see that I was not hurt before he started in. He was acting tough - like he wanted to do the fisticuff tango. I was down with that, and the door was almost ripped from its hinge, as shoved it open. I was in offence mode, and was not going to be taking any shit - from anyone full stop.

Stepping from my car, the mood changed drastically - the old fella seemed to reconsider acting violently towards my self as he assessed my size (perhaps he had thought I would be the average short, Aussie bloke). He stopped pumping his fist and screaming at me, and almost tripped himself as the back peddling started.

It didn’t matter, because I was on him like a virgin in a strip club.

“What the hell are you talking about? Do you know what the fuck the three-second rule is? Let me show you! One, Two, Three, that’s how far you are supposed to stay away from the driver in front of you! “, I was not giving him time to respond, and by now I was up in his face standing head, and shoulders, over him.

By now, I am shaking, and he is shaking. You could have given either one of us a glass of milk to hold, and when we returned it, you would have had a milk shake.

He ignores me and walks over to my car, and says “Aw, it’s not damaged let’s forget it.”

Looking at the deep gouge in the metal and the bright red paint that has now magically adhered itself to the paintwork I reply, “Get fucked! Look at that the metal and red paint that came from your red station wagon. Do you have your information? I want to see your driver’s licence, and details”.

As he walks back to where his car is sitting, I could see that we were blocking traffic, and people were pulling around us from both sides. There was no way I was going to move anything until I had this man’s information.

As he begins to fumble in his pockets for his details - it hits me. This geezer is talking to me with an Aussie accent, as well as a Greek one! I had never heard anything like it, and my conclusion was confirmed when he handed me his driver’s licence. The first name, as well as the surname, was Greek. I gave him my Oklahoma Driver’s licence, and we exchanged details, phone numbers, you get the idea. I did ask if he had insurance, and who his carrier was - he told me and I wrote it down, but that turned out to be false.

[Author’s note - They do not carry insurance verification papers in their cars as is done in the States - more on the specifics later on.]

As we start to leave, he cannot help but to add a parting shot, “It’s no big deal, there isn’t much damage done.”

“Yeah, whatever you think. I’m turning this in and you’ll be paying whatever it doesn’t cost to not fix the dent, and paint on my car okay?”

I get into my car (ignoring any further comments), and cannot contain myself. The shaking is so bad now I feel like I am in the middle of an epileptic fit. Thankfully, I had only a block to drive to get to my woman’s job.

Making my way there, I find that I had to park at the end of the block and walk back to where she works. I go in and see that she is busy with someone. I don’t care, and silently I mouth, “I was in a wreck”.

She doesn’t seem to understand the silent American accent, “What?”

Again, no words just lip movement, “I - WAS - IN - A WRECK”,

She starts to smile, at me - perhaps because she is happy to see me, or perhaps because she thinks I am playing a game with her - I frown and walk outside to smoke a cigarette and calm my ass down.

She follows after, “What’s wrong?”
“I was in a car wreck.”
“OH NO! Are you okay?”
“Yeah, but the car is wrecked.”
“Where is the car? Can you drive it?”
“Yeah, it is just down the block.”

We make our way down to the car, and she looks at the damage, “That’s it? I thought that when you said a car wreck you meant the car was ‘Wrecked’ this isn’t anything.”

“Okay, whatever, a wreck, an accident, it’s all the same - the car has damage.”
“No it’s not, we don’t call them ‘car wrecks’ - here they are called ‘accidents’”.

Shaking like a leaf, and a headache to boot, I cannot find the energy to argue, “Yeah, an accident.”




Stay tuned for Part 3 the exciting conclusion!

8 Comments:

At 24 June, 2006 14:21, Blogger Traci Dolan said...

Seeing your red-head unfolding from a vehicle must have been his worst nightmare. Glad you're okay. Better start feeling better for your wedding punk!

 
At 03 July, 2006 22:49, Blogger Zelda said...

I hope your testicles descended again to their rightful place, and I'm very glad you're okay.

That must have been the funniest thing you emerging from your car and the little Greek man running backwards.

 
At 16 July, 2006 21:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Rule!!!!

 
At 04 August, 2006 11:39, Blogger Celti said...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

*snort*
Huh?
Wha?
Part 3?

...
Oh.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 
At 15 September, 2006 00:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A. Get to part 3

B. I want wedding details punk!

 
At 23 November, 2006 23:38, Blogger Zelda said...

Happy Thanksgiving (if you can remember it anymore :-) )

 
At 07 December, 2006 11:50, Blogger Celti said...

Ok, damnit, I know you're not dead. Are you ever going to post again? :p

*crickets*

lol

 
At 07 December, 2006 17:31, Blogger Seeker said...

Heh I am not dead just been busy .... I got married on july 4th, bought a house, started thru immigration and whoa what is that? Couldnt stay a in Oz anymore had to come back to the States to apply. Everything submitted and awaiting a decision or request for further information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home